Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Boys and their Toys!


What is it about boys and their toys? It seems that when I decide to spend money for fun it is on something small like a new $10 shirt at Eddie Bauer or a new pair of Old Navy flip flops for $2.50. However, when my husband decides to spend money it is in the $100's or the $1000's. Men say they don't shop as much, which I admit is true, but when they do, they make up for lost time! Thus the pictures of Riley with his new bow. He got this for his 9th birthday from us. I thought we were getting him some new Legos and new underwear or something of that nature. But Brian decided he needed a hunting bow, not a toy one, but the real deal. This in spite of the fact that he can't legally hunt with it until he's 12 but the argument is he needs the practice. So several hundred dollars later here he his. All this said, I love the fact that he shares this passion with his dad. They both love the woods and would spend all their time out their if I would let them. Riley hikes for miles and miles with Brian in search of creatures and will sit still for hours on end if they think they have an elk in their sights. When Riley was about 4, Brian had taken him out and he got too cold and told us he didn't want to ever hunt again. I told him maybe some day when he was a daddy he would hunt and he quickly replied "Not all Daddys have to hunt, mommy." I told him that was ok and Brian quietly mourned. Not long after that Riley had a change of heart and he hasn't looked back. He tells us after college he is moving to Alaska to live and hunt. I tell him that is not acceptable and he has to live right next door to mom.

0 comments: